Our COVID-19 playing rules remain in effect until such a time as Phase 4 comes into play.
As a reminder:
- play is 6-aside
- entrance to and exit from the field is from “gates” on the side line
- hand sanitizer used before entering and exiting play, and attestation are still required
- your Rugby Canada registration must be completed before playing, so please ensure your registration for 2020/2021 is still valid and if not, please register sooner than later – here’s the link https://rugbycanada.sportlomo.com/
- play will continue as long as the NDP feel its safe to do so and the COVID curve continues to trend downward
Hopefully you and your families are healthy and as happy as can be under the circumstances. There has not been a lot to report since the November suspension of adult sports but with vaccinations and other actions there is some reason for optimism about returning to the rugby pitch.
February 5, 2021
Earlier today, Dr. Bonnie Henry announced the extension of the current Public Health Order with no definitive end date. This extension maintains the restrictions that are in place for sport as specified in the Gathering and Events Order updated on January 8, 2021. This extension is likely to last the month of February, although Dr. Bonnie Henry made clear the opened ended extension is intentional.
Happy New Year/Hogmanay Ebb Tiders!
For some, this email will be a reminder but for the rest us here’s an update on what’s happening with BCRU and getting back to running around again.
BCRU indicated back in December, in response to PHO restrictions, that Phase 3 resumption (touch rugby practices) will not occur until later in January or sometime in February. Keeping fingers on the pulse, the exec anticipates, realistically, a February restart (so there’s still at least three weeks for personal training to get fit ready for when we get back to it). Another update will be emailed out as soon as confirmation is received from BCRU to resume practice touch sessions… In the meantime, keep an ear to the Facebook page and the website for changes and more information as it becomes available.
Here's to looking at the try line in the coming weeks and cheers!
Chris - Vice President
Ongoing issues with the Rugby Canada and Sportlomo web platforms have delayed registration for the rugby restart. Therefore, the first run is scheduled for Friday September 18 @ 5:30 at Bullen Park. But before then here are the steps that need to be taken:
- Darren will get the RC & Sportlomo sites functioning properly for our club
- Darren will prepare an e-mail to members explaining the new process with links to get started
- Members have to register BEFORE 5:30pm on Friday September 18
- Members will also have to do the COVID attestation BEFORE 5:30pm on Friday September 18, you will get instructions on how to do this
Please have another look at the e-mail sent out on September 2 with details about how the runs will be conducted.
Thanks for your patience and cooperation.
COVID-19 has had a major impact on all our lives, including on our rugby club, our members, and their families. It has been a rough sea to navigate during an everchanging situation. BC Rugby and by association the Ebb Tide Rugby Football Club has had to shut down all rugby related activities including practices and social events, considering the risk of infection transmission and potential severity of the COVID-19 virus.
Hopefully we can return to normalcy next year with a face to face AGM meeting, but the electronic approach did the job for this year.
In all, 16 members voted and they were unanimous on both items. So, the Treasurer’s report is adopted and the draft society bylaws were approved. Our application to register as a society under the Societies Act has been approved so we are now officially the Ebb Tide Rugby Football Club.
No new nominations were received for the executive positions that were up for election, so here is your 2020 executive:
- President: Glen Okrainetz
- Vice President: Chris Poulton
- Secretary: David Knox
- Treasurer: Aaron Cook
- Quartermaster: Dave McMordie
- Registrar: Darren Kovacs
- Fields: Murk Toorenburgh
- Social: Mike Joss
- Director at Large (Fundraising): Dave Valentine
- Captain: Paul Eby
We look forward to serving the interests of club members in the coming year.
On behalf of the club, I would like to thank Jim Capron, Dave Millard and Tim Walshaw for the service they provide in their executive roles.
Yours in rugby